Tax Planning And Disputes
Sanger & Manes, LLP has assisted local area residents, out-of-state entrepreneurs, Canadian snowbirds and citizens from other foreign countries who reside part-time in the US, with tax planning and tax controversy work for over 30 years. With a strong focus on overall tax planning for individuals and businesses, especially in the context of business sales and other transactions, Sanger & Manes has successfully represented countless clients before the Federal and California taxing authorities in income, estate, gift, property, residency, sales tax audits and litigation, including cases before the US Tax Court. The Firm also has a proven record of assisting same-sex couples in both federal and state tax issues. The Firm's expertise in successfully defending against and appealing “residency” audits and assessments, where California’s Franchise Tax Board claims non-Californians who live part-time in the state are subject to California’s high income tax, has saved taxpayers millions of dollars in assessments.
Some of the most typical documents and projects within the Tax Planning and Disputes practice area include:
- Retirement plans (Choosing the correct type, beneficiary designation, structuring to minimize taxes)
- Buy-Sell Agreements
- Corporate Recapitalizations
- IRS & FTB Audits and Appeals related to income taxes, sophisticated retirement plans, estate and gift taxes, sales and use taxes and property taxes, including claims for parent-child exclusions
- Private Retirement Plans
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Companies
- Closely Held Corporations
- Same-sex tax issues
- §1031 Like Kind Exchange Agreements
Sanger & Manes, LLP, understands the tax planning of today’s families, individuals and businesses.